Last time I wrote I was in Langkawi and I am now in Thailand.
From Langkawi we took a ferry to Satun and then an 8 hour coach journey to Krabi. Before we got on the ferry we met this middle aged Australian couple who were really nice to us, they had clearly been travelling a LOT and told us this and that. Koss, the guy, looked and sounded exactly like Crocodile Dundee which kept me entertained while he was telling his stories, as well as the stories themselves of course. The coach journey would've been lovely except someone put the Thai pop music channel on and did not change it or turn it down for the whole 8 hours (overnight journey too) so naturally when we got to Krabi we were feeling a little ...Krabi.
We only spent one night in Krabi but that was where I tasted the world's best Thai curry. Officially.
Next day we headed to Koh Phi Phi. The beaches were beautiful, there was plenty of entertainment. Massive beach parties, shame everywhere shut at 12/1. We took a boat trip one day we were there, our boat broke down so we were sat wondering what the rescue procedures were for quite some time. Lordan says the guy called someone on his mobile but I don't believe he even had a mobile. When we eventually got switched on to another boat the rest of the trip was beautiful of course. swam with lots of fishies and went to 'The Beach.'
We also stumbled across a small Tsunami memorial garden hidden on the Island. Don't think anyone had been there for a while. I must admit it was quite emotional seeing all the plaques with names of people lost and the big picture frames and people's passport pages scattered around.
I must say I'm quite warming to this whole "curry in a bag" thing. They're everywhere. I can only assume that the Colonel had spent a lot of time in Malaysia as the abundence of KFC's was amazing however in Thailand I haven't seen many fast food joints and this is why - Curry in a bag. The healthy, affordable, on the go meal. I'm thinking - Roast dinner in a bag?
Speaking of fast food the first day we got to Phuket, Lordan and I had decided we were doing well with local cuisine, I mean its all very nice but they do pretty much stir fry everything. We needed a break so the next restaurant we went to we ordered a cheese burger each. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that my burger bun had been deep fried. Nice. Can't really see Mcdonalds going for the Phuket special addition burger. Bridget? your mum mentioned anything?
So now I am still in Phuket. We haven't really met anyone on this Island but thats probably because we've spent most of our time staring at the 70+ balding men with the 16+ Thai girlfriends. Unbelievable. Also I find it quite funny that every single bar and stall open at night has loads of pole dancing poles everywhere and all the girls just stand next to them. I haven't seen anyone actually pole dancing yet but as long as they have one hand holding the pole that seems to be okay. One rather large lady was actually doing the running man but with one hand holding the pole. Acceptable.
Tomorrow we're flying to Chang Mai. We're skipping the whole of Bangkok and that area due to the trouble there now, right when we are travelling. Honestly the selfishness of these people amazes me. Hopefully it will be resolved or at least be safer on our way back.
xxxxxxx
No comments:
Post a Comment